Friday, March 16, 2012

WISHFUL THINKING-rise to surprise 7"(1989)



1.positive I.D.
2.self-esteem
3.it goes both ways
4.end of fear
5.time out
6.inside out
7.hey fool!
8.barriers
9.rise to surprise

Here is some more Western Mass hardcore for you.  As stated in the Outpatients post before this, I mentioned I saw these guys in a basement with G-Man.  Wishful thinking blew me away live.  Total straight edge youth crew, but a bit more harsh sounding then say youth of today, etc.  I'd say Wishful thinking were influenced by lots of straight edge(duh...Minor threat for sure), but mixed in the speed and rawness of other bands from their area(Deep Wound, Siege, Outpatients, etc).  After I'd seen them, and got the 7" I tried to turn on the Albany folks I started to meet in the scene.  Albany was sorta weird though.  A very Straight edge, New York hardcore mentality existed here.  If it wasn't from NY, it wasn't of interest to about 80% of the scene.   Dudes in Albany who wanted to book, SNFU, Victims Family, Operation Ivy, and bands that weren't "hard" or "straight" had to book Judge, Token Entry, Super Touch, Sick Of It All, YOT, Breakdown, GB, etc. to get kids to come out to shows.  It was weird.
Years after seeing these guys, and getting the 7" from my Western Mass connection, I'd met, and become friends with the singer of Wishful thinking.  Mark Dargie, one of the nicest guys ever.  I think I met him selling his record collection at a show.  He's still around, and semi hip to whats going on.  Download this...nine ragers on this 7" ep slab.
Sample:


Download ep http://www.mediafire.com/?31mmwoocdd7m06c


4 comments:

  1. thank you for posting this. never heard them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Nate! This is a ripper. I never hard of them. Let me know if you ever find a spare copy. And if you still speak to Mark Dargie, tell him I said hi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this record, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete